Av Acueducto 890, Centro Histórico, 58000 Morelia, Mich., Mexico, 8 minutes walking
FUENTE DE LAS TARASCAS
At the meeting point of the Aqueduct and the Calle Real, which today is Avenida Francisco I. Madero, you will find the most emblematic fountain in the city of Morelia: the Fuente de las Tarascas. Sculpted in bronze, dates from 1984, and represents three purépechas women with naked torso, carrying a large pan full of fruit, it is said to refer to the Purépecha princesses Atzimba, Erendira and Tzetzangari.
Atzimba; The princess banished by her tribe after falling in love with an explorer who came from the new Spain by orders of Hernán Cortés.
Erendira; The rebellious princess and heroine of Michoacán, was the leader of the Purepecha resistance against the Spaniards.
Tzetzangari; The princess who shed bitter tears for nights and days and flooded her town in what is now known as Lake Zirahuen.
Av Acueducto 1464, Chapultepec Nte., 58260 Morelia, Mich., Mexico, 9 minutes walking
One of the most representative architectural elements of the city of Morelia, located east of the Historic Center. This architectural piece dates from the late eighteenth century and stands out for its constructive quality, design and aesthetic and artistic appreciation.
The Aqueduct of Morelia is the one that is maintained in the best state of conservation and the one with the greatest original structure of those that remain in Mexico. It was an element of great importance for the Historic Center of Morelia was declared Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 1991.
The Aqueduct was in operation until 1910. Its length is approximately 1700 meters and it has 253 arches that reach a height of almost 8 meters at its highest point. In 1997 it was completely restored, and later stage lighting was placed on it. It is an important tourist attraction of the city and has become an architectural icon of Morelia.
As a curious fact, the Aqueduct of Morelia is present on the back of the current 50 peso bills of the Bank of Mexico.
Jardín Fray Antonio de Lisboa Núm. 2, Centro Histórico, Morelia, Mich. 15 minutes walking
SANTUARIO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE GUADALUPE
The Sanctuary of Guadalupe or Temple of San Diego as it is known in Morelia, is an 18th century building with a Baroque façade. Its construction lasted eight years, beginning in 1708 and ending in 1716. It belonged to the Franciscan Order of the Dieguinos.
In the viceregal era the temple was located outside of Valladolid, as it was formerly called the city of Morelia, so it was ordered to build a pedestrian walkway that led directly to the church in 1732, the Calzada de Fray Antonio de San Miguel.
Av Francisco I. Madero Pte S/N, Centro Histórico, Morelia, Mich. 12 minutes walk
Majestic building of pink quarry, of baroque style. Inside, the Doric order predominates as a basis for ornamentation and has neoclassical altarpieces. Its construction began in 1660 and ended in 1744. Among the treasures that it keeps are the Manifestator of silver baroque style of the XVIII century; the Baptismal Silver Stack, of neoclassic style, also of the XVIII century; the Monumental Organ, from the beginning of the century and consisting of 4600 flutes or voices; the image of the Lord of the Sacristy, made with the prehispanic technique of "pasta de caña de maíz", of the XVIth century, as well as valuable paintings located in the sacristy and the chapter house.
Its monumental organ, of German origin at the beginning of the 20th century, was considered the largest organ in Latin America at the beginning of the 20th century and is currently considered one of the most important in Mexico.
Calle de Santiago Tapia 319, Centro Histórico, Morelia, Mich. 12 minutes walk
JARDÍN DE LAS ROSAS
The Garden of Roses, as it is commonly known, is a beautiful public space of Morelia that combines romanticism and tranquility, surrounded by small gardens full of flowers of various types and trees that cover the quarry benches where the visitor can sit down to rest while enjoying the beautiful view offered by the ensemble formed by the Conservatory of Roses has become one of the most prestigious high-level music teaching institutions in Latin America and the Temple dedicated to Santa Rosa de Lima.
To the side of this beautiful garden there are several cafes with outdoor tables where you can enjoy some hot or refreshing drink depending on the weather; In this square, on weekends, local artists exhibit their works such as paintings, sculptures and some handicrafts from the region.
El Nigromante 79, Centro Histórico, Morelia, Mich. 14 minutes walk
The Clavijero Palace is one of the most important architectural monuments of the city; its great patio, with seven arches on each side, is the largest among the Jesuit buildings of Mexico. Since February 2008 it has been the Clavijero Cultural Center, a privileged space for the presentation, promotion and dissemination of culture and the arts.
This majestic baroque building dates from the mid-seventeenth century, originally the seat of the Jesuit College of San Francisco Xavier, a function he held until 1767, and came to have the most innovative educational infrastructure: classrooms, laboratories, astronomical observatories and library ; besides learned scholars and prominent students like the young Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla. Among those who taught at this school is the scientist, historian and philosopher Francisco Xavier Clavijero, who took the name in our time for the property.
Av Francisco I. Madero Ote 440, Centro Histórico, Morelia, Mich. 5 minutes walking
MUSEO DEL DULCE
Only 19 years after the consummation of Mexico's Independence, Dulces Morelianos Calle Real was born, founded in 1840 by Don Marcial Martínez in the portal just in front of the Cathedral of our Morelia under the name of "El Paraíso".
The sweetshop had a beautiful Parisian-style café and patisserie where numerous personalities of the Moreliana high society met to talk about contemporary themes and taste the gastronomic delights of the place.
Throughout this time, the company has witnessed numerous family anecdotes and has compiled recipes that capture the gastronomic history from independent Mexico, through the Porfiriato and its French influence, to our days. Invaluable treasures of the fine Moreliana sweets that blend with the fruits of our land and the refinement of the French patisserie.
In the museum they explain from its elaboration in convents and monasteries during the Colony, its elaboration in the mansions by morelianas families, the commercialization of the product and the birth of the first factories, all this through 5 rooms. You can buy more than 300 varieties of sweets.
La Corregidora 113, Centro Histórico, 58000 Morelia, Mich., Mexico, 17 minutes walking
CASA NATAL DE MORELOS
It is a historical building of neoclassical style, it is the place where, on September 30, 1765, the hero of the Independence of Mexico, José María Teclo Morelos Pérez y Pavón, better known as José María Morelos y Pavón, was born. Favorite son of the old Valladolid and by which the city takes the present name of Morelia, from the 12 of September of 1828.
The original house dating back to the seventeenth century, was baroque style with smooth walls and white, however, in 1888 it was rebuilt, acquiring its current neoclassical style, with the bare wall and a large courtyard where there is a bust of the hero . In the year 1930 it was declared a national monument, and in 1965, on the second centenary of the birth of the caudillo, a museum dedicated to Morelos. At the moment it is a cultural enclosure where the work of the hero is exhibited; It houses several rooms, one dedicated to the origins of the caudillo, the next to his participation in the War of Independence, and the other to his life and death.
Rafael Carrillo 138, Cuauhtémoc, Morelia, Mich. 11 minutes walking
The Cuauhtémoc Forest offers so much to see and do, that is why it is one of the favorite places of the Morelians. It has the largest green area in the city center and is surrounded by the main tourist attractions of Morelia: The Aqueduct, the Fountain of the Tarascas, the Garden of Villalongín, the Alley of Romance, the Calzada San Diego, the Morelos Garden and the Temple of San Diego. You must definitely include this walk on your next visit to our city.
Any day of the week is the ideal to enjoy the alleys of Bosque Cuauhtémoc, it has a trotter with a length of 1,600 meters, a track of Bicicross track; on weekends it is a place where a large number of families go.
Right next to the track there is a children's play area that is divided into games for the youngest children, with swings, plastic games without corners and even a playroom for them to read a story. And great games for children, here there are already some mechanical games, the skate track and the famous train.
You will find two museums: the Museum of Contemporary Art Alfredo Zalce open from Monday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and the Natural History Museum of the Michoacán University open on Monday. to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Important: Carry an identification with you because you will be asked to access the museum.
At the center of Bosque Cuauhtémoc there is an impressive kiosk that serves as a meeting point half a walk and where adults can rest while the children are still playing.
Bartolomé de Las Casas 74, Centro Histórico, Morelia, Mich., Mexico. 8 minutes walking
In 1531 the Franciscans arrived in Guayangareo (now Morelia) and built an adobe chapel. The temple and the convent were founded in 1536 and by 1610 the works had been completed. The temple was planned similar to the time in Spain.
In addition to being a religious site, the convent became a school where the Indians met and were taught to read, write, arts and crafts of the Spanish culture.
HOUSE OF CRAFTS (EX CONVENTO FANCISCANO)
On the south side of the temple the convent of the Franciscans was built at the beginning of the 17th century.
The Convent of San Buenaventura in 1972 became Casa and Museum of Handicrafts of Michoacán.
The ground floor of the building has a portal with arches, where there is currently a craft market. The upper floor has small windows that illuminate and ventilate the cells, where artisans from each region of the state are located.
The style of the door is Renaissance and the windows are plateresque.
It has a first patio surrounded by corridors and arches of Renaissance style.